21 70.00%
  • Yes they are, but I wish they weren't

4 13.33%
  • No they are not, and they shouldn't be

1 3.33%
  • No they are not, but they should be

4 13.33%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Should Tattoos be socially acceptable?

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should Tattoos be socially acceptable?

I was wondering if you could all help me out with an assignment?

I need to collect the opinions of individuals (rather than the media) on Tattoos.

Are they socially acceptable?
    Should they be socially acceptable?
    Do you have any tattoos, and if so do people tend to look at you differently than they did before?

Thanks

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're socially acceptable, but I don't think they should be. Why anyone would want a piece of pseudo-art etched into their body is a mystery.
    A man said to the universe:
    "Sir, I exist!"
    "However," replied the universe,
    "The fact has not created in me
    A sense of obligation."

-- Stephen Crane

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tattoos are an ancient practice. Many tribes around the world have been tattooing themselves longer than this country has existed. Of course their beliefs about what tattoos represented are far removed from what the average American thinks about their tattoos. For many young Americans the reason they get a tattoo is, "I was drunk".

I don't have any tattoos and don't want one. My dad, a 30 year veteran of the Navy, had nearly more tattooed skin than he had skin without one. Tattoos have been accepted in our culture for decades. Sailors are almost expected to get at least one. The current fad of young people getting tattoos is less accepted by some but generally I don't see too much reaction to them even by folks my age.

We humans love to decorate ourselves. We poke holes in our earlobes (and eyebrows, nose, nipples, etc.) for rings, we color and shape our hair, we were makeup and often clothe ourselves to make a statement. I don't think tattoos are that different. Those who want them should be free to have them (and bear the stigma of excessive tattoos poorly chosen and placed when they try to get a job). And they really ought to use spellcheck before having ink injected into their body.

The Forum Rules

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.
    [John F. Kennedy]
    The principal value of debate lies in the development of logical thought processes, and the ability to articulate your positions publicly.
    [Senator Dick Clark of Iowa]
    The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it.
    [Terry Pratchett]

Always Have A Towel Sigma_Tau_Theta's Avatar
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tattoos create jobs
    The best type of correct is technically correct.

L'enfer c'est les autres

#Not Intended To Be A Factual Statement

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are they socially acceptable?
    To some. I know people that hate them and I know people that love them.

Should they be socially acceptable?
    I personally don't see why they shouldn't be.

Do you have any tattoos,
    No, but I've seriously considered getting one. Haven't decided what of or where at yet.
    http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/

If I'm the only witness to your madness offer me some words to balance out what I see and what I hear.
    10,000 Maniacs

BANNED
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a tattoo. I also have some body piercings. I neither know, nor care, if people's attitudes towards me have changed as a result.

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whether tattoos are socially acceptable depends on the type of tattoo, where it is, whether it's professionally done(or looks professionally done) and what social group you're talking about. In New Zealand, where I live, home-etched tattoos generally define unemployed, low-income etc. Likewise some tattoos are to identify gang affiliations. Whether these are acceptable depends on your view of the group.Smaller tattoos, especially on women, wouldn't be seen as anything other than decoration as are earrings or makeup
    The major difference though, is with Maori tattoos. Moko (chin tattoo) on women is a point of pride and whole body tattoos on men, in particular,are often beautiful, intricate, and tell of the person's.life and ancestry

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    275 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the way your questions are cast, "Socially acceptable" implies some monolithic, mono-mindset group--something that doesn't exist.
    Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd - Voltaire

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally accept a man with tattoos the same as i accept any other man(regardless of his look) , but i think that a majority of people don't share my opinion.To me it doesn't matter what a person looks like but what are his intentions and i think that everyone else should do the same.

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have one, have thought of getting one, don't care if you have one, know college professors who have them and have several family members who are adorned with them. I think what matters now, from the social acceptability standpoint, is not if you have one, but where you have them, how many you have and what kind you have. My opinion is that some people tend to get addicted to them.
    All I see when I look down, something jumpin' on the ground, Scratchin' dirt, cluckin' in the barnyard -
    Tell me, could that be you?

John Kay

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have any tattoos and, in my opinion, people are not qualified to judge me on such a superficial basis. But if others want them, that's fine.

Grandpa h.
    Post by post, building his arguments by smashing a couple of theirs -- for America.

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Quote by: laza666 View Post
    I personally accept a man with tattoos the same as i accept any other man(regardless of his look) , but i think that a majority of people don't share my opinion.To me it doesn't matter what a person looks like but what are his intentions and i think that everyone else should do the same.
    How about women with tattoos?

The Forum Rules

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.
    [John F. Kennedy]
    The principal value of debate lies in the development of logical thought processes, and the ability to articulate your positions publicly.
    [Senator Dick Clark of Iowa]
    The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it.
    [Terry Pratchett]