User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do inmates get too many privileges?

Novice Member
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do inmates get too many privileges?

I was reading this article the other day and it inspired me to write this.

Inmates get:

• Free Satellite TV (every single cell has one of these)
    • 3 Square meals a day, healthy with the exception of Desert (CHOCOLATE PUDDING!): What do prisoners eat? | newsobserver.com projects
    • A weight room
    • Free medical care
    • Free college courses
    • And I'm sure much more

Free Satellite TV
    I think it's ridiculous that murderers and rapists be allowed to watch satellite TV, that's better than what I currently get and I (actually my Mom) has to pay for it.

These people get to watch whatever they want for free, that sounds like a good deal to me, but I don't think they deserve it.

3 Square Meals
    This wouldn't be so bad but it gets served to them. People walk by and give them their food in their cell, they should have to work so much to get the food, like the highway clean-up or whatever. I can't really think of something else right now, but there should be something they have to do as payment.

A weight room
    Personally, I think that this is one of the stupidest things you can put in a prison. What's next? A freaking shooting range? If someone strangled someone else to death to get in prison, I don't think I want him to be stronger when he gets out, it just doesn't sound that great to me.

I think that if there is going to be a weight room, it should only be allowed for people that did sort-of low danger crimes (Tax evasion, scamming, things that don't involve physical pain ) , but not for the murderers and people that got in for using their physical strength to take advantage of another.

Free medical care
    I see this like I see the meals, they should at least have to find some way to work for it.

Free college courses
    This is probably the only one I actually agree on, I'm just putting it here in case there's someone with my beliefs, only more radically and they want to expand on this.

I think they should have the right to get an education and attempt to better themselves, but I think they should have to do so much to get them, like have good behavior, etc.

Conclusion:
    I think prisoners get way too many privileges. They get a decent bed, satellite TV, 3 square meals a day, they have a weight room and a library and they get thousand dollar courses all for FREE.

I think it's practically a REWARD to get in there, I'm sure any homeless person would rather go there than be out in the cold.

Discuss.

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Quote by: Cyrus View Post
    I was reading this article the other day and it inspired me to write this.

Discuss.
    Do you a link to the article. And, which prisons are you referring to? Prison conditions vary widely between jurisdictions.

What are your thoughts about Suicide reveals squalid prison conditions?
    Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd - Voltaire

Novice Member
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Quote by: barts View Post
    Do you a link to the article. And, which prisons are you referring to? Prison conditions vary widely between jurisdictions.

What are your thoughts about Suicide reveals squalid prison conditions?
    I actually read it like a week ago and just thought about it now, so I don't remember what site it was on :(

And I am talking about American prisons, I can't find a list of prisons or states that allow it, but if you just google "prisoners get TV", you'll not see anything denying it and it's usually posts like this, talking about how prisoners get TV even though they did [sometimes] extremely bad things.

As for the article, that was at a Privately-Run prison and I'm sure most prisoners are in the Government-run facilities. I can't find statistics about this, but I'm just 100% sure.

Actually, I did find statistics.

U.S. Has World's Highest Number of Prisoners | NowPublic News Coverage

That the United States, with its current population approaching 304 million people, also "leads the world in producing prisoners": 2.3 million of them and climbing.
    And
    Private prison - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Private companies in the United States operate 264 correctional facilities, housing almost 99,000 adult offenders
    So that's a ratio of around 23:1 public:private

So just think of this debate against public prisons

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So just think of this debate against public prisons
    Thanks for raising this issue, Cyrus. In doing some research on it, I came across the Commission on Safety and Abuse in America's Prisons.

If you read the summary of the report, Confronting Confinement, you quickly come to the conclusion that your conclusion

...prisoners get way too many privileges. They get a decent bed, satellite TV, 3 square meals a day, they have a weight room and a library and they get thousand dollar courses all for FREE.

I think it's practically a REWARD to get in there, I'm sure any homeless person would rather go there than be out in the cold.
    is likely unjustified.

Novice Member
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Quote by: barts View Post
    Thanks for raising this issue, Cyrus. In doing some research on it, I came across the Commission on Safety and Abuse in America's Prisons.

If you read the summary of the report, Confronting Confinement, you quickly come to the conclusion that your conclusion

is likely unjustified.
    I did an 'in-depth skim' on it (no other way I can think to describe it ) and noticed that, although it talks about how the prisons are bad, it doesn't have statistics. It says that the conditions are poor and about how
    prisoners recounted gang violence, rape, beatings by officers, and in one large jail, a pattern of illegal and humiliating strip-searches.
    But how often does that happen? How many times a day? A week? I can't find any official statistics that would show that it's very serious.

How many people die of gang violence and how many people get raped a day outside of prison? I found this neat little posting from someone who has been in prisons, in their societies.

Preparing for Prison (Do or Die)

The most common fear, certainly among men, seems to be that if they get locked up they'll 'have to go in the showers with Mr. Big.' Forget that - predatory homosexuality is as rare in British prisons as malt whisky, in fact in some prisons it's a great deal rarer. There's probably more chance of you being raped or sexually assaulted 'outside' than in here. I have never actually come across a single occurrence.

Then there's the fear of non-sexual violence - are you going to be locked up with a load of thugs and psychopaths who'll cut your throat as soon as look at you? Again, this is largely exaggerated, but violence does exist in prison. However, it's a relatively simple matter to minimise the likelihood of being attacked. In my experience there's far less random violence in prison than in wider society. I was in an adult long-term prison at 19, and the only time I've ever been attacked it was by the screws.
    Now, I know this is from British prisons, but honestly, how much different can they be? A prison is a prison in places like France, the UK and the US, there is most likely very little difference.

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now, I know this is from British prisons, but honestly, how much different can they be? A prison is a prison in places like France, the UK and the US, there is most likely very little difference.
    Apparently, according to the report I referenced there is enormous differences between prisons even in the United States. It seems that saying "a prison is a prison" and concluding there is little difference between them is like saying a hospital is a hospital or a school is a school and suggesting there can't be much difference between them. And we all know from our own experiences there are vast differences between schools and hospitals.

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Conclusion:
    I think prisoners get way too many privileges. They get a decent bed, satellite TV, 3 square meals a day, they have a weight room and a library and they get thousand dollar courses all for FREE.

When are you signing up for your stay in prison? Oh, you're not? What's that? You don't want to go to prison?

End of discussion.
    "But it wasn't until he met his beautiful wife that he learned using logic and reason isn't enough. You have to be a dick to everyone who doesn't think like you." - South Park on Richard Dawkins

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Conclusion:

Discuss.
    If your sure of that it because you missed the point. Prison removes freedom, and the worse the crime the more of your freedom is taken. The more a prisoner disobeys the less freedom he is given.

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure about other prisons, but this was a news report here from the last few weeks. And what other government department would publicly talk about "patching up" problems?
    Squalid, sub-standard conditions at Mt Eden Prison

4:00 PM Sunday Feb 26, 2006

A damning Corrections report on Mt Eden Prison reveals how squalid and sub-standard conditions at the ancient facility have been.

A desperate "business case" plea to Government for the prison to be replaced or substantially renovated, it lists a raft of health and safety problems, including exercise yards being flooded with sewage.

Corrections was exposed to prosecution and litigation on a number of fronts and the age and poor condition of the prison meant there was a "high likelihood of service failure, the consequence of which would be catastrophic."

Released to National MP Simon Power, the report was written in November 2004.

Corrections says it has now "patched up" problems it can address, diminishing the risks - but Mr Power is sceptical.

The department admits a number of conditions that make the prison sub-standard - can't be tackled under the current set-up.

It is preparing replacement options to present to Government this year, but has no guarantee of action.

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want the prison guards to be in even more constant, even greater danger, take TV and recreation away from prisoners. If you want constant prison uprisings, take away decent food. If you want prisons with revolving doors and even higher recidivism rates, take away educational opportunities. All of those things are there, not to "coddle" inmates, but to make it less likely that prison will only serve to make the inmates more violent and less likely to be able to leave the system. Is it perfect? Hell no. Is it better than the alternative, "screw 'em, prison should be terrible" approach? Yes, for the guards we ask to do a horrible job and for society at large. If all you want to do is make prison hell and don't care what the consequence is for the larger society, take the hard ass approach. If you want to make it possible for at least some in the prison system to break the cycle, then you better be willing to offer some level of humane conditions and hope for an alternative for the ones willing to take advantage of that alternative.
    All I see when I look down, something jumpin' on the ground, Scratchin' dirt, cluckin' in the barnyard -
    Tell me, could that be you?

John Kay

BANNED
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Prisons are an antiquated form of punishment , for all intent and purposes we've been using the same system for thousands of years...and aside from modernization and some human rights adjustments, not much has changed...

1. someone commits a crime
    2. we lock them up
    3. they stand trial
    4. if convicted we lock them up again for a determined time
    5. once they have completed that time we let them go
    6. until they re-offended and we lock em' up again

and we've been doing this since the first person was held against their will for committing an unsavory act upon another.

We have not, in all the centuries that have passed, found a better way to deal with those who are deemed unfit to live among the rest of us.

Prisons should be abolished entirely...anyone who commits a crime should either:

1. be killed
    2. dealt with in alternative ways to prison

if someone is so heinous, so threatening, so predatorial, to society that he/she cannot be dealt with through means other than prison, we should just kill them...like a rabid dog...

and be done with it.

The prisons are full of people that shouldn't even be there...the vast majority of them don't even pose a significant threat to society...there should be valid solutions beyond what we presently have to deal with offenders.

Those who do pose a significant threat should ( IMO ) just be killed...but for the bleeding-hearts out there who want to keep them alive, at the very least locked away for good without any hope of ever getting back out.

Prison, if it must exist...again, if it must exist ( and personally I don't think it does ) ...should be reserved for only those who pose a significant risk to society...significant enough that it would be irresponsible to ever let them go.

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Quote by: Diogenes View Post

We have not, in all the centuries that have passed, found a better way to deal with those who are deemed unfit to live among the rest of us.
    That's not true at all.
    some methods have changed.

Prisons should be abolished entirely...anyone who commits a crime should either:

1. be killed
    2. dealt with in alternative ways to prison
    You do know that prisons have various levels of security, from maximum where there are no freedoms and constant surveillance, to minimum, home detention.