Thread: World language

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

World language

Should everyone learn and speak the same language?

If so, what language would it be?
    You can find me if you want me in the garden unless it's pouring down with rain.

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say English. But I bet there are many who would disagree. In fact, I can think of one particular guy who would strongly disagree.

Genesis 11:1-9 :

" And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech. And it came to pass, as they journeyed from the east, that they found a plain in the land of Shinar; and they dwelt there. And they said one to another, Go to, let us make brick, and burn them thoroughly. And they had brick for stone, and slime had they for mortar. And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth. And the Lord came down to see the city and the tower, which the children built. And the Lord said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do; and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do. Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech. So the Lord scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth: and they left off to build the city. Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the Lord did there confound the language of all the earth: and from thence did the Lord scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth."

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    275 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is one world language, and it's English. Of course, not everyone speaks English, but the lingua franca of the world is English. Often when Europeans from different nations meet, the one common language they often have is English because they all learned it in school as a "second" language. The Chinese, when they study a second language, it's rarely German or Spanish, it's English.
    Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd - Voltaire

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We tried Esperanto, but that didn't get very far.

The Forum Rules

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.
    [John F. Kennedy]
    The principal value of debate lies in the development of logical thought processes, and the ability to articulate your positions publicly.
    [Senator Dick Clark of Iowa]
    The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it.
    [Terry Pratchett]

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Quote by: Jack View Post
    We tried Esperanto, but that didn't get very far.
    William Shatner made a movie using it... LOL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incubus_(1965_film)
    "But it wasn't until he met his beautiful wife that he learned using logic and reason isn't enough. You have to be a dick to everyone who doesn't think like you." - South Park on Richard Dawkins

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As everyone said, the political and business language of the world is English. Pretty predictable considering the United States is the largest consumer (customer is always right) and most politically significant nation in the world -- although China, Russia, and the European Union in its totality are strong contenders in the second category, especially China.
    Act that your principle of action might safely be made a law for the whole world.

- Immanuel Kant

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We live in the U.S., close to Quebec, so my children learn French in school. No offense intended, but I think that is completely pointless. We have the "Muzzy" program in attempt to give them some base of Spanish. I wish they could learn Chinese.
    You can find me if you want me in the garden unless it's pouring down with rain.

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chinese is notoriously difficult to learn. That's why my dad insisted that I learn Chinese starting from the age of 5. Today, I'm more fluent in English than I am in Chinese despite starting to learn English at age 12.

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    275 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Quote by: Morality Games View Post
    As everyone said, the political and business language of the world is English. Pretty predictable considering the United States is the largest consumer (customer is always right) and most politically significant nation in the world -- although China, Russia, and the European Union in its totality are strong contenders in the second category, especially China.
    English, of course, comes from England not the United States. It just so happens that the most recent great empires currently the United States and prior to the first world Britain were English speaking. The United States is English speaking because it was comprised originally of colonies of Britain.

Of course, you no doubt know that twice as many people speak Mandarin than English.
    Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd - Voltaire

Retired Space Cowboy
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless you make that language everyone speaks very very diverse, then no. Some things just don't sound right in English, and some things don't sound right in Italian.

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course, you no doubt know that twice as many people speak Mandarin than English.
    I imagine necessarily; it would be the 'dominant' language in Asia. Nonetheless, Chinese businessmen in international venues learn English in greater ratios than native English speakers learn Chinese. Again, the customer is always right. If there is an international language between nations and corporations, it is English.
    Act that your principle of action might safely be made a law for the whole world.

- Immanuel Kant

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A multi-lingual world is inconvenient if you don't speak all the languages in question, but there's no reason to impose a single language upon people. And I'm not sure one language is necessary or desirable in any case. As any student of language knows, things said in one language are often more unique and beautiful than they would appear in another, and people can learn about this at just about any age. And languages tend to grow and intermingle naturally anyway. On top of that, I'm sure talks in Geneva on resolving the Georgian conflict weren't held in a single language, for example.

Grandpa h.
    Post by post, building his arguments by smashing a couple of theirs -- for America.