User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Parents should be punished for their kid's crime?

aaron
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Parents should be punished for their kid's crime?

Parents should be punished for their kid's crime

Should They? Or Should They Not?

I Think Parents Should Not Be Punished For Thier Kid's Crime!

What Do You Think?:)

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think they should be punished for there children's crimes.

<<Insert actual response to argument>>
    -Chris

"I guess we are the people our parents warned us about."

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think so. It's not entirely the parent's fault. Children can be influenced by many other things --- peers, the media, video games, etc. etc. etc.
    Le GoogelGuRu

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Quote by: Le GoogelGuRu View Post
    I don't think so. It's not entirely the parent's fault. Children can be influenced by many other things --- peers, the media, video games, etc. etc. etc.
    The only thing I would agree with you on is the peers thing. Somebody that is a big fan of gangster rap is not going to shoot a cop just because Ice cube raps about shooting a cop, people are smarter than that. Now, if you were speaking of things such as the news messing up a news story or influincing people to have a certain opinion, I can somewhat understand that, but it does not pertain to this debate, because I cannot think of one instance where the news preached that felonies are good.

Video games is quite a dumb guess also, but that is for another debate.

The parents should be charged for the felonies for many reasons. The 2 main ones I can think of right off the bat. Number one, your parents are the biggest influences on how you live your life. Even if they are gone all the time, they are influincing you and shaping your opinions on how you think the world is. If they don't know who what, when, where, and how, then they are to blame if you get in trouble. If they do know and set you free with a good chance of being arrested, that's also on them. Do you see how it always comes back to them?

The second reason is who else are you going to charge for the felony. You are, by law, their legal guardian. Therefore, the child is your responsibility. Are you going to charge Ice Cube for singing the song? Are you going to charge his peers for talking about it? Are you going to charge the video game companies for exposing it? Or are you going to charge the parent for being ignorant of the child's behavior and surroundings?

Think about it.
    Torture is the gradual elimination of emotions.

aaron
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    still....

here are my reasons...

Parents should not be punished for their kid's crime because:

1) They cannot control their children 24/7
    2) Parents do not control their own children’s brain
    3) When a young age, mothers and fathers cant be there to tell their little ones, what is right and what is not right.
    4) Some people from good families can become bad criminals. But, your personality is developed with your friends and they might be bad influences. Their parents might not know about these friends.
    5) Kids have a mind of their own. They can do anything they want when their mom or dad is not around. Why should the parents be punished?
    6) We all know it is important to take care of your children and raise them right but soon everybody has to take responsibility of their own actions. When they commit crimes. It is their fault. Not the parents.
    7) The only person to blame on a crime is the criminal who committed the crime.
    8) It's not entirely the parent's fault. Children can be influenced by many other things --- peers, the media, video games

(i included some previous information) =)

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Quote by: saltinespike View Post
    The only thing I would agree with you on is the peers thing. Somebody that is a big fan of gangster rap is not going to shoot a cop just because Ice cube raps about shooting a cop, people are smarter than that. Now, if you were speaking of things such as the news messing up a news story or influincing people to have a certain opinion, I can somewhat understand that, but it does not pertain to this debate, because I cannot think of one instance where the news preached that felonies are good.

Video games is quite a dumb guess also, but that is for another debate.

The parents should be charged for the felonies for many reasons. The 2 main ones I can think of right off the bat. Number one, your parents are the biggest influences on how you live your life. Even if they are gone all the time, they are influincing you and shaping your opinions on how you think the world is. If they don't know who what, when, where, and how, then they are to blame if you get in trouble. If they do know and set you free with a good chance of being arrested, that's also on them. Do you see how it always comes back to them?

The second reason is who else are you going to charge for the felony. You are, by law, their legal guardian. Therefore, the child is your responsibility. Are you going to charge Ice Cube for singing the song? Are you going to charge his peers for talking about it? Are you going to charge the video game companies for exposing it? Or are you going to charge the parent for being ignorant of the child's behavior and surroundings?

Think about it.
    I guess your right, in a way. Parents can control what you play, watch and listen to anyway. I still think that some kids could grow up without really showing any signs of it and do something all of a sudden --- how would the parents be blamed then? I guess it's also the parents' fault if the child "runs the house", too like many do.

Quote Quote by: lmao m8
    Right in a way... but parents can play a huge part in monitoring their children and not influencing them to do these things. Still a problem child can arise without warning.
    Le GoogelGuRu

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Quote by: lmao m8 View Post
    1) They cannot control their children 24/7.
    No one can but themselves. Still, a child does not have full rights and cannot be fined, for they have no way of making money. If you are talking serious crime, like something worth going to juvie for, then yes, that should be charged for the kid, but the parent shouldn't be let go with a slap on the wrist. Maybe put the child in a foster home.

2) Parents do not control their own children’s brain.
    Sure they do, somewhat. Parents are the biggest influence in a child's life.

3) When a young age, mothers and fathers cant be there to tell their little ones, what is right and what is not right.
    A good mother and father would.

4) Some people from good families can become bad criminals. But, your personality is developed with your friends and they might be bad influences. Their parents might not know about these friends.
    Good parents would know who their child's friends are.

5) Kids have a mind of their own. They can do anything they want when their mom or dad is not around. Why should the parents be punished?
    They are responible for the child. Their absense and trust of the child is their responsibility.

6) We all know it is important to take care of your children and raise them right but soon everybody has to take responsibility of their own actions. When they commit crimes. It is their fault. Not the parents.
    When you are 18 years old. That's the magical number.

Not for a person who does not fully understand the crime and the punishment, and cannot cope with peer pressure. These skills are supposed to be taught by the parent.

8) It's not entirely the parent's fault. Children can be influenced by many other things --- peers, the media, video games.
    Read my previous post.

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Quote by: Le GoogelGuRu View Post
    I guess your right, in a way. Parents can control what you play, watch and listen to anyway. I still think that some kids could grow up without really showing any signs of it and do something all of a sudden --- how would the parents be blamed then? I guess it's also the parents' fault if the child "runs the house", too like many do.
    There are always signs. But if you are talking about crimes that would normally get you jailed (if you were over 18), you get sent to juvie, which is perfect.

I think the system is fine the way it is.

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    :confused: So what crimes are we referring to here?
    Le GoogelGuRu

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe that is the OP's job to specify. This debate, to me, is pointless otherwise.

Igneous Magma
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    still....

here are my reasons...

Parents should not be punished for their kid's crime because:

8) It's not entirely the parent's fault. Children can be influenced by many other things --- peers, the media, video games

(i included some previous information) =)

Basically all of your reasons can be traced back to your lack of belief in parental influence which is incredibly misguided. They way a parent raises(or does not raise) their child has an incredible effect on the type of person they will become.

To me your question kinda boils down to the nature vs nurture debate. You're basically trying to say that once the child is born, they are born the way they were born, and that nothing after that can truly influence who they are. That, by the way, is completely incorrect. It is both nature and nurture. You are born with a tendency to be a certain way, but the way that you are raised, and the stressors that you encounter determine whether or not those tendencies will come into effect.

For instance, all humans have the ability to be violent, we are born believing that that is an effective tool. Thus, two year olds hit to get the toy that they want. However, whether or not you get after the child for hitting to get the toy has a great effect on whether or not they will continue to use the 'tool' of violence. A child that did not get in trouble for hitting others when they were young is more likely to be violent later in life because when they were young they were never shown that it was wrong.

Parents have a responsibility to teach their children to be decent human beings, and when their child commits a crime, I believe that at the very least they should be required to take a class to teach them how to handle their childs specific issue.

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Parents should be punished for their kid's crime
    If the parent knew and gave permission for the crime, or taught the child how to commit it.
    - solo
    (my site)