This is a list of the top 10 reasons why I am not an atheist. When I say atheist I am talking about the kind that is in the like of Neitche, Dawkins, and Dennett. The type that incorporates philosophical-naturalism and materialism.
I know many of you will disagree with this list so try to have fun with it. Some of the reasons are more analytical and others are more emotional.
10. Any artifact we produce in this life will eventually disappear, whether it be in the next generation or a thousand years from now. All of us will evenually become irrelevant.
9. There is no true purpose to the world. We can manufacture our own purpose, but it has no persistence, no ultimate truth and can change according to how we feel or according to our perspective.
8. It is confusing how we can have a brilliant conscious experience inside some grey brain-matter. No matter how detailed a science text book on the human mind is, it cannot teach us what lobster tastes like, what the color red feels like, or what a wave at the beach sounds like.
7. There is no reconciliation for awful tragedies that happen in this world. A poor, sick, starving child that dies at a miserable young age has no after-life to make up for it.
6. If my mind is reducible to mathematical structures that can be formulated, there is no room for freewill. Anything I think of could be calculated if we had the resources to do so. This contradicts my internal sense of having freewill.
5. During times of distress and discomfort, there is no solace or comfort that can be found by praying or appealing to the Catalina mountains, the great sauguaro cactus outside my house, or any other aspect of nature.
4. I would have to believe that self-replicating RNA was spontaneously/accidentally created in some kind of primordial soup.
3. Seems akward to suggest the Universe invented itself. Why three dimensions of space? Why the magnetic force? To me it is like suggesting Abraham Lincoln built the log cabin he was born in with his own hands.
2. We are puppets. There is no part of our inner-being (like a soul) that is immune to our environment. Every neural pathway that defines who we are and what we think can be affected by outside forces. Our core being has no barrier to protect it from being manipulated by outside malignant or accidental influences. Our identity, self image and belief system would be entirely at the mercy of what happens to us.
1. Mother Nature, although showing elements of beauty, is a savage and cruel mistress that offers no salvation from her (and our own) destructive nature. We all die.