Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Explain The Escherian Stairwell

Please, explain what is happening. There are no visual effects or camera tricks involved, just so you know.

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd - Voltaire

2. Dislikes minorwork disliked this post
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.mostwatchedtoday.com/the-...of-technology/

"Many people throughout the world are currently being fooled by this tour of the Escherian Stairwell located in the Frank B. Gannett building at the Rochester Institute of Technology. The tour is an elaborate hoax created by RIT film/animation graduate student Michael Lacanilao and features people experiencing the stairwell illusion for the first time."
    ATTENTION! Due to recent cut backs, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, always worthwhile to check snopes.

The Escherian Stairwell
    Rick

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." Sinclair Lewis

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Quote by: barts View Post
    There are no visual effects or camera tricks involved, just so you know.
    Well I have to admit that at first I just took your word for it. And there was a good 5 minutes during and after I watched the video where my brain was trying to reconcile my decision to trust your word with perceiving something that is clearly physically impossible.

Which is exactly what this experiment aims to illustrate. If I was to continue to trust your word instead of investigating on my own and finding out that cinematic trickery really was involved (stupid me for just not reading the responses in the thread), I would have gone on thinking that indeed a magical stairwell exists. And this is how myths are born.

Our friends from the religion section could benefit from this example. :)

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is not magical. it is an alien trick! remember that movie Prometheus? there they get oxygen by walking into a simple looking structure, yes? this is the wonders of architecture, once you understand it.

Now, if you were to walk up the stairwell, you would be walking up to yourself. to walk up to yourself, you need to have a loop, but, you need it to actually be flat, and then actually descending, as you come up the bottom. this means it is a descending staircase, yes?

So, how do you make a descending stair case appear to be a ascending staircase? well, you need to go down the part that looks like it is going up, and then up the part that is going up to where you were. why not the other way around? well, you cannot fool the world by walking up, then down, as that requires tricks, yes? I say you go down first as you disappear then reappear at the bottom.

Now, that I have had time to check my own thoughts, you actually walk straight down, then straight up. we have seen this in familiar stairwells, like those we see that go up continuously, so , maybe it is really going up? I guess you walk with gravity against you, as you feel you are going up, then up again, so gravity would allow you to feel differently if it were nonsense.

If the stairs were to be nothing more than tiles on the floor, and you are actually walking down a slope, they could have the slope with 'gashes' in it to make them look like steps. so you walk down a slope, and mirrors on the floor, making it look as if it were going up, but actually going down, and this could be done with ghost reckon technology, making the person 'disappear,' and reappear as if they were going up in proportion to how they are going down.
    !! Don't fear the reaper !!

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Explained: Verticle Split Screen

A key method used in the RIT Escherian Stairwell video, besides regular splices, is verticle split screen, which is explained here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzfdpY29nAs

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a related note... http://www.snopes.com/horrors/ghosts/loretto.asp

I think it could be real, as it must happen in dreams so often. this makes me think that, seeing as how it is a recurring dream for many, in the past at least, it could be like a greater consciousness trying to tell us something. what we could actually use it for is beyond me, but I think it could be real.

So, you got your portal to examine. most say that it is a trick, and if it is a trick, portals are not allowed. I still believe that it could be real, otherwise there would not be so much fuss. imagine watching a magician bending spoons - surely that is more entertaining than watching some bloke walk down stairs?

So, how do you go down, then down again, and find yourself in the same place? Well, it is possible in space, but here on earth? maybe it is impossible.

You go down a set of steps and find yourself at the same place after you go down again. maybe it is a metaphore for going down, grabbing a bubble or balloon, and then floating up, and going down again to get to where you started?

Let's examine other stairwells that do the same thing? they travel up or down or whatever, and are always on the same level, even though it seems like they are going up or down.

How about if the stairs go along, and then go down, and then you are on a different set of stairs that must have an angle to them? If they got an angle, but they don't, then it is easy to explain.

That is what I am talking about. is it a trick? as you can plainly see, it is no trick. this reminds me of the fourth dimension, where things can go through something else, and resume their original place without going up or down...

Now, if you can go through something, like a doorway, you will be in a different room, that will probably be level with your original room. walking back through the door will take you back to your original place, but that is not the issue, as we are walking down steps, then down more steps to find our place of origin.

Let's observe the two dimensional image? if you were to watch a television that is not tuned in correctly, you will find it coming from the left or right the whole time. this 'wave' seems to come out of nowhere and go back to nowhere, only to reappear.

Is this the same thing? It is supposed to be a signal! this escherian stairs is actually a one way two dimensional message, not really a stair case, or, that is my take on it.
    !! Don't fear the reaper !!