Thread: Technology vs. Ideology.

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Technology vs. Ideology.

What do you think is more Important for the Survival and progress of a nation?
    I think Technology is a Product of Human creativity. It's a practical manifestation of what Human Intellect is capable of doing. And indeed it has made Human life so much more easy, and sophisticated. But Technology, like everything else has its advantages and disadvantages. Morever, it has its base in Ideology. Afterall, even the Scientific method, one of the most crucial developments in the History of Science, is also an Ideology. The consequence of an Idea.
    Technology becomes repressive and destructive, when moral values are abandoned to blindly develop technology. Plus, moral values cannot be completely practised until they are coupeled with a proper Ideology. Ideology on which a person could mould the principles of his or her life. If there's anything that stands a barrier between the Homo sapien of today, and animals who lack the ability to think, contemplate, and the cognitive sense, then that's conscience.
    I'm not trying to demonise Technology, since it has done humanity, in general, so much Good. But when Ideology is desolated for the sake of technology, then the latter could result in horrible consequences like the ones our ancestors witnessed in places like Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
    Ideology per se could also be destructive. It could be wrong, faulty and nave. Hitler, for example, was driven by his shallow and baseless Ideology that white race for some innate reason is superior to all other races. A simple twist in his Ideology could have had make him a pacifist. Ideology develops the outlook an Individual has towards the World. No wonder we bring up the Issue of ethics and morals whenever it comes to the development of Technology like Stem cell research and Nuclear Proliferation.
    I think the character of a nation solely depends on the Character of its Individual citizens. If the very citizens who make up a nation, are not adherents of any proper Ideology, then how can such a nation progress without ultimately becoming its own worst enemy through technology produced without a moral sense and which could eventually, inevitably, become the cause of the demise of the former...?

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    275 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any thoughts about what that "proper Ideology" might be?
    Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd - Voltaire

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Humans are toolmakers. We need technology to survive. The question of how we use that technology is a matter of ideology. Will we use our technology to build or destroy? Will me make plowshares or swords?
    Rick

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." Sinclair Lewis

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Definition of a Proper Ideology would be different for different people. However, a perfectly proper Ideology would indeed demonstrate the pinnacle of Human Intellect. Either such an Ideology exists, and has never been exploited. Or is being willfully overlooked by Humanity.

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Quote by: RickSp View Post
    Humans are toolmakers. We need technology to survive. The question of how we use that technology is a matter of ideology. Will we use our technology to build or destroy? Will me make plowshares or swords?
    Indeed Technology is a queer thing. I remember reading somewhere; Technology gifts you with one hand, and stabs you in the back with the other hand.