User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Animals should not be kept in zoos?

aaron
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Animals should not be kept in zoos?

Animals should be kept in zoo's.

VS.

Animals should NOT be kept in zoo's.

well. i think Animals should be kept in zoo's.

What Do You Think?

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on the zoo
    I saw the one in Beijing china and it made me sad to see a tiger with cold sores pacing up and down in a cage of concrete that was barely big enough for him. Other large animals were treated the same way too.
    If the enviroment they are kept in is not suitable then it is torture of animals plain and simple.
    We should not display them just for our amusement. But we should do all we can to preserve the species.
    Better to create wild life parks and keep the tourist in cages as they wander through.

aaron
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    most of the big and most famous zoos usually take care of them nicely. and there are alot of good zoo's!

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I say it depends on the zoo. A good zoo can be a very good tool for convservation and education.

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone recently asked me why, if I believe that humans are simply another animal, I wasn't more outspoken on animal rights issues, since they'd be equivalent to human rights issues.

One thing about getting older while trying to keep an open mind; more and more examples of and exceptions to my opinions become known, making absolute opinions near impossible to hold.

I do think humans are members of the animal kingdom, closely related to the great apes due to common ancestry, clearly mammals. I do think our attitudes toward our animal brethren indicate our own level of humanity.

But I don't automatically equate zoos and wildlife reserves with cruelty any more than I think all old-folk's homes abuse the elderly. Some do and should be closed. Some zoos, especially "road-side" collections of wild animals, should also be closed.

I was born and grew up in San Diego. I went to junior high next door to the San Diego Zoo. From my first years I have visited the zoo, and that has determined a large part of my attitude toward wildlife and their preservation. I've seen zoos take the lead in genetic preservation as well as habitat preservation. Scripps Institute of Oceanography has shown me that concern for wildlife extends to ocean dwellers as well. (Oddly, animal-rights extremists seldom seem as incensed by aquariums as they are zoos.) I saw first-hand what happened in Idaho and Wyoming when wolves were taken from sanctuaries and released into the "wild". They were far better off in captivity.

So I see the well-run zoos as benefits to the animals there, and the "wilderness", their native habitat, not always safe or able to sustain them. If being alive is the best situation any of us can enjoy, then good zoos have indeed benefited animals.

Yet the evolutionist in me understands that extinctions happen for a variety of reasons. Sometimes our interference in this natural process has backfired, creating more distress than there was originally. Most likely we should allow species to go extinct. It's a process we poorly understand and sometimes make worse by our blundering efforts to "do what's right" according to our human values.

So as you may notice, I can see worthwhile arguments both for and against the work zoos do.

The Forum Rules

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.
    [John F. Kennedy]
    The principal value of debate lies in the development of logical thought processes, and the ability to articulate your positions publicly.
    [Senator Dick Clark of Iowa]
    The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it.
    [Terry Pratchett]

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Better to create wild life parks and keep the tourist in cages as they wander through.
    A great idea.

The only forms of "captivity" that I really endorse are things like globalteer.com (I can't use links on my first post >.<), a place I may volunteer at myself one day *crosses fingers*, and of course some forms of "pets"...but this isn't an argument about them.
    Quote Quote by: From GlobalTeer
    Our Thailand Wild Animal Rescue Centre is located approximately 2 to 3 hours south of Bangkok . This sanctuary is dedicated to the rescue and rehabilitation of wild animals previously exploited as pets, used for profit within the tourist industry or rescued from the illegal wildlife trade.

We've completed construction of seven gibbon islands, allowing the gibbons to move about freely, to establish territories and mates, and to live a life as close as possible to a life in the wild. The project also has an education centre as we consider that educating the locals and future generations is essential to the survival of Thailand's wildlife. [Also educate international tourists]
    This is much more preferable compared to a zoo. Unfortunately space can be hard to come by without popular support.
    Quote Quote by: Isherwood
    Someone recently asked me why, if I believe that humans are simply another animal, I wasn't more outspoken on animal rights issues, since they'd be equivalent to human rights issues.

One thing about getting older while trying to keep an open mind; more and more examples of and exceptions to my opinions become known, making absolute opinions near impossible to hold.

I do think humans are members of the animal kingdom, closely related to the great apes due to common ancestry, clearly mammals. I do think our attitudes toward our animal brethren indicate our own level of humanity.
    I've asked people the same questions. I myself consider animals as much of individuals as I do people.
    Quote Quote by: Isherwood
    (Oddly, animal-rights extremists seldom seem as incensed by aquariums as they are zoos.)
    It's harder to empathize with creatures of the sea. It's also a reason why some vegetarians may continue to eat fish unless, of course, they choose to do so for health reasons only. Perhaps they don't gather as much attention but I can remember issues dealing with killer whales and dolphins. I take it on a level similiar to circus bears and monkeys etc. and aquariums as zoos.
    Quote Quote by: lmao m8
    well. i think Animals should be kept in zoo's.
    Why do you think animals should be kept in zoos?

My position is should not, but I won't go as far as ought not ever.

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw first-hand what happened in Idaho and Wyoming when wolves were taken from sanctuaries and released into the "wild". They were far better off in captivity.
    Was it due to our mistakes or would it be bound to happen all the time?

Unfortunately, we make mistakes often enough to cause concern but I would doubt it should hold us back on making progress in the realm of preservation with release in mind.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I guess the main thing I want to point out with this argument is what should implies compared to should not. Should consequently endorses animals being held captive for reasons of entertainment; not preservation. Depends is not really a good answer if you wish to argue the preservation end of things.

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem lies in that we have had the capacity for thousands of years to cause great change in our planet. It started when we gain the ability to use fire. We conquered one of the greatest fears of ours and lands animals in general. That was the first thing that separated us on a major level from other animals. Agriculture also separated us so that we had the means to distance ourselves from the web of life. We are never had anything compare to us in intellect so we never had to root ourselves to the animal world. Yes animalism is the most basic religion but in it we view animals on the same level as a mountain or stream so they are what we exist in and we just have to pray to it after we use it.

We have been learning more and more as we progress but when we don't know we have a bad collective habit of making assumptions that seem to make sense. We also are the top dog on the food chain so if anything goes after us (even if it is us) we try to destroy, subdue and enslave it to our whims. In Europe that is why wolves were so hated and hunted. We hated having our right to what ever we wanted thwarted. This isn't human but a basic life instinct to make yourself/species best able to be dominant.

If anyone can make any sense of my above my rant I congratulate you.

Edit: Oh and I support zoos that have a priority on conservation and education. We humans have been too dominant and don't care about what we destroy unnaturally. If a life form dies out because it wasn't able to adapt to another life form (non-human) taking its niche too bad for it, that is nature. If we make it go instinct then it is just our own god-complex.
    Jern_Sandyer is the local Devil's Advocate Number 1

I doubt my sanity; yet again I doubt yours as well

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh and I support zoos that have a priority on conservation and education
    A few have noted this. Why is education only achievable in a zoo, or an aquarium for that matter, with enclosed spaces and no intentions, usually, on release?

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quality zoos use the money generated from visitors and the sale of souvenirs to run wildlife rehabilitation centers around the world, to study animals in their natural habitats and to fund conservation efforts for both the animals and their habitats. The San Diego Zoo also runs classroom educational programs as well as the Wild Animal Park, where the animals free range and the people are kept behind barricades.

The biggest advantage zoos have over government agencies and even college and university programs is that it's funds are free from political and social influence. They can investigate cloning or genetic preservation without worrying about the political breeze that blows one way one year and the opposite way the next. They provide unbiased research into areas that the government may consider not worth funding. Thus the best chance truly wild animals may have to survive is most likely to going to be due to research carried out by the zoos and aquariums of the world. Their work has produced more substantial results than the efforts of highly political and often ineffective organizations like Greenpeace. The work of the World Wildlife Fund is almost as good as zoos provide, since it too uses private funding free from political influence.

The Forum Rules

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.
    [John F. Kennedy]
    The principal value of debate lies in the development of logical thought processes, and the ability to articulate your positions publicly.
    [Senator Dick Clark of Iowa]
    The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it.
    [Terry Pratchett]

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you.

You've noted why it is convenient (and quite so I might add). Unfortunately, with zoos free from political or social influence, you get the flip side of the coin (more often then not?). I still don't see it as a reason why animals should be kept in captivity.

A political and/or social organization can achieve something similar to the San Diego Zoo and others like it. Of course, nothing is wrong with private run programs but private run programs do not require holding animals housed in enclosed spaces with no intentions on release for increased profit either. I've never seen the San Diego Zoo so I may be fighting from a biased standpoint.
    Quote Quote by: Nigh Eve
    Why is education only achievable in a zoo, or an aquarium for that matter, with enclosed spaces and no intentions, usually, on release?
    This goes for funding, research and preservation as well.

You could argue that programs and space to work with is hard to come by when it comes to social, political or private methods. This is something that can change if given proper focus.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of gum." - Duke

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Animals in zoos... teach little kids to love animals and grow up to help them.

If you take away that face to face Zoo Effect they just become.. things people talk about, and you lose the connection.
    Einstein's "Theory of Relativity" is still being challenged to this day, but by consensus Global Warming is a fact... that's REAL science at work, why didn't Albert just go that route?