Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does marijuana make you stupid?

Some say it does, some say it doesn't.

I would suggest that personal experience is not a fair way to judge. That is a sample size of one, and may not even be in the dosage range that is necessary to produce an effect.

What do you guys think, does marijuana make you stupid, if you use enough for long enough?
    Do all things with love.

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Quote by: Captain Chaos View Post

I would suggest that personal experience is not a fair way to judge. That is a sample size of one, and may not even be in the dosage range that is necessary to produce an effect.

What do you guys think, does marijuana make you stupid, if you use enough for long enough?
    I can only speak from personal experience, but it has made no dent in my overwhelming intelligence, or equally expansive ego. Nor does it make me lazy, it just makes me realise some things arn't worth doing.

It does however make me sleepy without any of the groggy side effects that sleeping pills produce, providing I don't hotbox it and fall asleep there. Then I feel like shit.
    (formerly G.Adams)

"You can avoid reality but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality" ~ Ayn Rand

Hot Lava
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have met several people who were utter, complete, unmitigated idiots when stoned.

They were, however, also utter, complete, unmitigated idiots when they weren't stoned.

I've known stoners who spoke five languages fluently, and others who barely managed intelligible English.

It depends upon the person, how they react to THC, how they react to the other Cannabinoids, and what their mindset is like.

I, for instance, use Cannabis primarily to control Migraines, although I'm not opposed to social use on occaision. I can't stand Indica strains, because all they do is make me sleepy. They'll kill a headache, but they're not good for much else. Sativa strains of Cannabis, on the other hand, have a nearly opposite effect. They make me -more- energetic, more engaged, and more creative. Sative makes Schroedenger math make sense.

Everyone reacts differently, which is part of why Cannabis prohibition makes no sense. However, if someone's an idiot when they're stoned, it's a fair bet that they're an idiot when they're straight, too.

Hellenist
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You should turn to science for this information. Here are some google offerings for Scholarly articles for effect of marijuana on brain

Positron emission tomographic evidence of toxic effect ... - McCann - Cited by 335
    Dose-related neurocognitive effects of marijuana use - Bolla - Cited by 43
    Marijuana Use and Cognitive Function in HIV-Infected People - Cristiani - Cited by 5

InfoFacts - MarijuanaScientists have learned a great deal about how THC acts in the brain to produce its many effects. When someone smokes marijuana, THC rapidly passes from the ...
    InfoFacts - Marijuana - 68k - Cached - Similar pages

NIDA - Research Report Series - Marijuana AbuseWhen marijuana is smoked, its effects begin immediately after the drug enters the brain and last from 1 to 3 hours. If marijuana is consumed in food or ...
    NIDA - Research Report Series - Marijuana Abuse - 32k - Cached - Similar pages

HOW DOES MARIJUANA AFFECT THE BRAIN?Throughout the years, there has been research on the negative and positive effects of marijuana on the human body and the brain. Marijuana is frequently ...
    serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/neuro/neuro04/web1/aejelonu.html - 13k - Cached - Similar pages

Smoking Marijuana : Marijuana Brain effectsMarijuana and The Brain. How does marijuana affect the brain? THC affects the nerve cells in the part of the brain where memories are formed. ...
    Smoking Marijuana : Marijuana Brain effects - 8k - Cached - Similar pages

Neuroscience For Kids - marijuanaEffects of Marijuana on the Nervous System. THC acts on "cannabinoid" receptors which are found on neurons in many places in the brain. ...
    faculty.washington.edu/chudler/mari.html - 12k - Cached - Similar pages

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep exactly... Another thing that drives this popular misconception is that people often LOOK stupid when they are stoned. There eyes droop, they may be grinning, etc. But that doesn't mean it makes you stupid, not at all. It definitly does not kill brain cells. Alcohol on the other hand does a great job of that, and WILL make you stupid and fried.

And athena, NIDA is nothing but a propaganda machine. I wouldn't trust most of the stuff on there if I were you.

Iceberg
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely not. I understand it has been proven the evil weed affects short term memory, but other than that, there seems to be no lasting harmful effects, except perhaps the tar deposits in ones lungs. I think one would have to smoke an awful lot of pot for the tar to do any lasting damage.
    Brien the Iceberg

If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything. M.T.

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, some of us just start out stupid and grass is a good excuse.
    Rick

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." Sinclair Lewis

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Quote by: brien View Post
    Absolutely not. I understand it has been proven the evil weed affects short term memory, but other than that, there seems to be no lasting harmful effects, except perhaps the tar deposits in ones lungs. I think one would have to smoke an awful lot of pot for the tar to do any lasting damage.
    Even the proven claim of short-term memory loss exists only when the user is stoned or recently has been stoned. The effects are not long-term.

Shifting Paradigms Captain Chaos's Avatar
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Quote by: another day View Post
    Even the proven claim of short-term memory loss exists only when the user is stoned or recently has been stoned. The effects are not long-term.
    So...

If you use it every day, your short term memory will be affected all the time. Not unlike a person who is always drunk.
    Do all things with love.

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cannabinoids are oil-based toxins that accumulate in the liver.

Useful as medicine for certain conditions. Acceptable as a recreational drug. Not recommended for those pursuing intellectual advancement.
    "Arms in the hands of the citizens may be used at individual discretion for the defense of the country, the overthrow of tyranny or private self-defense." -- John Adams

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest that personal experience is not a fair way to judge.
    Then how are you going to come to an actual accurate answer? Nobody who has tried it would know the first clue as to what it does.

Scientific studies are also biased, especially in the US, considering the "War on Drugs" and most of these reports were funded by the US government. Other studies just repeat the same old studies from the 80's and earlier, claiming them to still hold true.

Now.... personally speaking, I smoke weed on a good occasion. I do not do it when I work. I treat it as you would alcohol or anything else used recreationally.

Does it make me stupid? Nope..... I'm one of the best in my position at work, I guess my IQ is 164 or whatever, my relationship is just fine.

Most people I speak to on the street wouldn't have the first clue that I smoke weed.

Also, when I smoke weed, no matter how much I smoke.... even to the point where I can't even pick up the joint any longer, I still have great concentration in what I am doing, so long as I am interested in it.

Those who smoke it, while they are high, of course they're not going to look the most intelligent, due to red droopy eyes, pasties, and a hankering for food. Usually when people smoke weed, it's during a time when they can relax.... so if they're going to relax and smoke weed to get high..... why would they try to act smart? It's to have a good time and chill.

Some of my best debates and ideas have also come when I was high.

Does it make you stupid? No..... Does it make you smart? No.

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So...

If you use it every day, your short term memory will be affected all the time. Not unlike a person who is always drunk.
    I smoke everyday, and been smoking everyday since I was 17.... (26 now)

I've still got my short term memory, I still remember what I need to do, it has no effect on my abilities of my everyday life.

But then again, I guess that would depend on the individual...... but all my friends whom are in the same boat, all carry good, successful jobs, relationships, and are quite smart.

The only common thing I noticed about weed if you smoke it without any control, is that after a while, it will take down your motivation to do things and you might become a bit lazy.... but this is temporary and you're back to your old self if you lay off for a while.