Thread: If there was a Christian style God

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If there was a Christian style God

Setting aside the question of whether this God exists, which is very unlikely, my question is this; how much punishment for our so-called 'sins' is appropriate and just? Clearly, it seems to me that 'eternal punishment' is over-kill for our meager 'sins'. What, then, would be a proper and just level of punishment for the 'sins' that limited creatures such as ourselves could commit, in our short lives? All the more so,m since this all-powerful and all-knowing creature supposedly knew, from the start, what all of our actions would be, down to the tiniest thought we would ever think, what responsibility does that leave us for our actions?
    Today's ideological enemies may be tomorrow's allies, and vice versa. So be nice to your enemies, you may need their help tomorrow.

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being forced to watch every single series and movie with Kirk Cameron, every single one.

Volcanic Erupter
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A suggestion taken from your avatar and the fact that this is a primitive desert god we're talking about: being forced to ride on a camel for all of eternity.

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Putting aside the fact that we're dealing with made up nonsense here just for a moment; I have to ask, what was the point of God sending himself down to earth to pretend to die for our sins if he's just going to torture us for all eternity anyway?

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what was the point of God sending himself down to earth to pretend to die for our sins if he's just going to torture us for all eternity anyway?
    The god of Abraham appears to be a drama queen. Always making the splashy entrance, parting the sea, weeping before his "death" all the while knowing he didn't have to stay dead.

then, would be a proper and just level of punishment for the 'sins' that limited creatures such as ourselves could commit
    Guilt, followed by remorse.

The Forum Rules

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.
    [John F. Kennedy]
    The principal value of debate lies in the development of logical thought processes, and the ability to articulate your positions publicly.
    [Senator Dick Clark of Iowa]
    The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it.
    [Terry Pratchett]

Invader Zim Watcher Nightwriter's Avatar
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just don't think any proper or wise God would respond to human error with eternal punishment. Or torture and fire, etc.

The ultimate response to "sin" would in my opinion be for God to grant the sinner sudden and total clarity on a level with God's own. For him to grant them the power to understand the full enormity of what they did, why it was wrong, why they are better than that, why they did it in the first place, the effects it had on the world, the people it hurt, everything that led up to that outcome and why it must never, ever, happen again. Omniscience.

A just God would not grant punishment. A just God would grant understanding - an understanding so powerful it would destroy the person the sinner had been before and create from that destruction an entirely new person who now has an unrivaled understanding of pain and evil and why they must not be allowed to exist in this world, and an unrivaled desire to be a force of good.

Heaven? Try skydivin
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Quote by: Jack View Post
    ... weeping before his "death" all the while knowing he didn't have to stay dead.
    always been one of my favorite discrepancies. Where's the sacrifice if you know you're going to rise again. Doesn't seem a just death for all of our sins both past and future. A lot of sin to not really die for..
    "I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other gods you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's not really dying is it? He just kinda hung around for a couple days and then went home. Get it?

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I assumed it wasn't his death that was the sacrifice. It was more the dying.

The pain.

Three days is a long time to suffer like that.

Funny how they say Jesus and God are supposed to be one, and yet when Jesus is on the cross and suffering, they are two very, very, very separate people.

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL, yeah, if god exists he's a real pecker head don't ya think?

Heaven? Try skydivin
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Quote by: Nightwriter View Post
    Well I assumed it wasn't his death that was the sacrifice. It was more the dying.

The pain.

Three days is a long time to suffer like that.
    Three days of suffering for ALL of the sins of mankind for ETERNITY? No, it doesn't seem quite like much of a sacrifice at all. Add to that fact that he knew he wasn't really going to die and you get a completely meaningless gesture.
    "I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other gods you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no human sacrifice that can equal all of the sins of mankind.

There is, however, such a thing as a hell of a lot of human suffering. Which is I'm guessing what God settled for. Apparently.

That wasn't the question I had about it though.

How does the suffering of an innocent man absolve a murderer?
    What good is that?
    Why should our sins be absolved?
    Why does Jesus say, "Father, why have you forsaken me?"
    What kind of dad would sacrifice his kid?
    Why did he need to die?
    What was that supposed to do? Sinners are still going to hell.