User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do Muslims feel Allah's presence?

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do Muslims feel Allah's presence?

I am an atheist but I have both Christian and Muslim friends. My Christian friends speak of their relationship with Jesus who is God. Jesus lives within them and they can feel his presence. I have not heard any of my Muslim friends say they can feel Allah's presence. I am curious about this difference.

I have a question for any Muslims on this forum (or people who know Muslims). Do you feel Allah's presence? Or is your faith based on the experiences of others rather than personal experience?

BANNED
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Quote by: DougL View Post
    I am an atheist but I have both Christian and Muslim friends. My Christian friends speak of their relationship with Jesus who is God. Jesus lives within them and they can feel his presence. I have not heard any of my Muslim friends say they can feel Allah's presence. I am curious about this difference.

I have a question for any Muslims on this forum (or people who know Muslims). Do you feel Allah's presence? Or is your faith based on the experiences of others rather than personal experience?
    Given that it's possible to electrically stimulate people's temporal lobes (the areas of the brain that are mainly associated with epilepsy) and produce, in many cases, a feeling of the presence of a supernatural entity (the so-called 'God Spot') - the subject thus stimulated automatically attributes this feeling of transcendence to the divinity they happen to worship.

A Christian will, as you would expect, sense the presence of God or Jesus, whereas a Muslim would, I suspect, interpret the same feeling as emanating from Allah.

Most atheists feel nothing at all - which is also predictable.

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to have a God spot, but mine apparently behaves weirdly, and whatever I thought I sensed was more frightening than comforting.
    Today's ideological enemies may be tomorrow's allies, and vice versa. So be nice to your enemies, you may need their help tomorrow.

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most atheists feel nothing at all
    We can still feel wonder and awe at nature.

I'm curious, too, if Islam teaches that god can be sensed on a personal level like Christianity does.

The Forum Rules

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.
    [John F. Kennedy]
    The principal value of debate lies in the development of logical thought processes, and the ability to articulate your positions publicly.
    [Senator Dick Clark of Iowa]
    The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it.
    [Terry Pratchett]

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Quote by: Jack View Post
    I'm curious, too, if Islam teaches that god can be
    sensed on a personal level like Christianity does.
    True, and you can always be in awe with what you are with.

Grandpa h.
    Post by post, building his arguments by smashing a couple of theirs -- for America.

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Quote by: Jack View Post
    I'm happy enough with that, Jack.
    Today's ideological enemies may be tomorrow's allies, and vice versa. So be nice to your enemies, you may need their help tomorrow.

BANNED
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Quote by: samsara15 View Post
    I used to have a God spot, but mine apparently behaves weirdly, and whatever I thought I sensed was more frightening than comforting.
    Well I guess that proves it was Jehovah - gods don't come much more frightening...

BANNED
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Quote by: samsara15 View Post
    I'm happy enough with that, Jack.
    But do you fall on your knees and feel compelled to worship it, or to pray to it for a nice afterlife?

I don't...

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Quote by: GeminiBrian View Post
    A Christian will, as you would expect, sense the presence of God or Jesus, whereas a Muslim would, I suspect, interpret the same feeling as emanating from Allah.
    It's just that every Christian I've known, at one time or another, claimed to feel God's presence. This is often given as the most significant reason why they believe. I don't think I've ever heard a Muslim make the same claim. Why don't Muslims feel Allah's presence? Or maybe they do and just don't talk about it. Or maybe just the Muslims I've known don't talk about it. Anyway, this is puzzling me.

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Quote by: GeminiBrian View Post
    But do you fall on your knees and feel compelled to worship it, or to pray to it for a nice afterlife?

I don't...
    Doesn't everybody?

*Gets on Knees* Dear Mother Nature..... thank you for this life and all that comes with it. I shall do everything possible to my abilities to ensure that I lead a fullfilling life. In return for my loyalties, I pray that you will kill all of the mosquitoes, house flies and horse flies and substitute them with some evolved, prettier and less annoying insect for other creatures to feed off of..... I pray that you cause a spontanious tornado 2 miles wide that crosses directly accross the Crawford Ranch and send George Bush Jr. off to the land of Oz to never be seen again..... or lodges a cow bell into his skull at high speed (I NEED MORE COW BELL!!!)

And I pray that when I die, you ensure that the maggots and worms eat through my ears & nose and not my eyes as only the crows are permitted to chow down on my eyeball goopy goodness...... and when I finally travel through the processes of being worm food, fungus, plant life and eventually another object or creature, that I get to become a seat on a woman's bicycle.

So let it be written, so shall it be done.... in the name of the Stink Beetle, the Carrot and the Holy Swiss Cheese Fungus, Amen.

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a very good question. Well, i'm a Muslim. And Muslims are obliged to pray five times a day to strengthen and fortify their relationship with God. There's a branch(or dimension) of Islam called Sufism (Islamic mysticism), and it's really all about forging a personal relationship with God, feeling his presence. I personally think that the only difference between mainstream Islam and Sufism is that in the former, you try to get closer to God whilst living your daily life, not abondoning your worldly life to fulfill your religious duties. In the latter, you go a step farther, you try to forsake the life of this world. And completely submit yourself to God. It's all about trying to find and embrace the presence of divine force. And then there's stuff like Sufi music...and all. I think as a Muslim i do feel the presence of God, in an intuitive way.

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the response. I'd never heard of Sufism before. It sounds roughly equivalent to a Christian monk.