Thread: Our Noah's Ark

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Quote by: Questatement View Post
    Here's an interesting question. If Noah's ark, as described in the bible, was found at the 13k foot elevation - would atheists here believe in a global flood as represented in the book of Genesis? If not, what other explanation(s) would there be for this ancient vessel?
    I don't think they would believe even if they saw the Ark sitting on the mountain, with Noah and his family alive and giving them details, and thirty lawyers present. Michael777

Macho Christian
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Quote by: Chinook View Post
    Thus far, there has been absolutely zero geological evidence of a global flood at the time of Noah's supposed flood.

Even if a boat of some sort was found, and it would have to be one hell of a boat to have supported two of every single non-aquatic life form on Earth, that alone would not be enough evidence to confirm the theory of a boat and flood and a god.
    Not 'some sort' of a boat, but the exact structure as described in Genesis. As to the size, I'm sure you are familiar with the creationist theory of rapid evolution via genetic recombination leading to new and varied species (monobaramin) from a single holobaramin to explain how all species could have descended from those on the ark between then and now? If not, brush up for an interesting read.

Anyway, that and your other points are a bit off topic as it relates to my question. Are there any large structures, especially those that might match Noah's ark in size, design, or age - known to man anywhere near that elevation? It is a well known fact that the higher you go, the more difficult the project becomes due to transportation, housing, and weather considerations. Keep in mind that the desert tree line for that mountain range is around 5k feet. How would you explain such a find?

If you don't want to play along with my ground rules, that's fine too, just say so.

Macho Christian
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Quote by: michael777 View Post
    I don't think they would believe even if they saw the Ark sitting on the mountain, with Noah and his family alive and giving them details, and thirty lawyers present. Michael777
    Well that would be a real shame if so.

I was once asked by an atheist that I work with what would happen if genetic researchers determined that homosexuality was inheritable and there was a distinct gay gene that determines orientation which was immutable.

As scary as it was, I replied that I would have to abandon my Christian faith.

I don't know how comparable that is to my ark analysis but at least I knew within myself that my faith was not beyond reason.

Retired Space Cowboy
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I'm going to die and go to hell; no surprises there. Anything you would like to add?

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that would be a real shame if so.

I was once asked by an atheist that I work with what would happen if genetic researchers determined that homosexuality was inheritable and there was a distinct gay gene that determines orientation which was immutable.

As scary as it was, I replied that I would have to abandon my Christian faith.

I don't know how comparable that is to my ark analysis but at least I knew within myself that my faith was not beyond reason.
    Don't you think that Satan knows God is Jesus? It doesn't matter, he will not recognize God's authority. He is the only angel created with no fear of God. He wants to be worshipped like God. Anyone who denies Christ is being influenced by him in some form or another. This is why I say no matter what proof is given they will not submit to God's authority. God's authority is Jesus Christ. Satan's own will deny Christ until the end under all circumstances. It is a Christian's duty until we are finally relieved of this life to tell them the truth. Then when God asks them to account for themselves they will be responsible. Michael777

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone who denies Christ is being influenced by him in some form or another.
    Then there are those of us who consider Jesus, if he existed, as just another religious leader elevated to his current divine status by his followers.
    This is why I say no matter what proof is given they will not submit to God's authority.
    A safe thing to presume in the face of a complete lack of convincing evidence that any god has existed in reality. No one can say for sure until that hurdle is overcome. Two thousand years and counting, and still nothing beyond faith.
    It is a Christian's duty until we are finally relieved of this life to tell them the truth.
    I don't know an atheist who hasn't heard what theists consider "truth". They aren't telling us anything new, anything we haven't heard hundreds of times in our lives. And we're still unimpressed. So really, you don't need to keep telling us the same thing over and over. Repetition does not infer validity.

The Forum Rules

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.
    [John F. Kennedy]
    The principal value of debate lies in the development of logical thought processes, and the ability to articulate your positions publicly.
    [Senator Dick Clark of Iowa]
    The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it.
    [Terry Pratchett]

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not 'some sort' of a boat, but the exact structure as described in Genesis. As to the size, I'm sure you are familiar with the creationist theory of rapid evolution via genetic recombination leading to new and varied species (monobaramin) from a single holobaramin to explain how all species could have descended from those on the ark between then and now? If not, brush up for an interesting read.
    I did give it a thorough read, as I had never heard of it before.

I'm shelving it with the theories like abiotic/mantle-derived oil. Unless such theories can be used to make a scientific prediction that can be scientifically validated and/or irrefutable evidence is found to support it, the theories can sit there and collect dust. They are useless to me as a scientist.

Anyway, that and your other points are a bit off topic as it relates to my question. Are there any large structures, especially those that might match Noah's ark in size, design, or age - known to man anywhere near that elevation?
    None of which I am aware.
    It is a well known fact that the higher you go, the more difficult the project becomes due to transportation, housing, and weather considerations. Keep in mind that the desert tree line for that mountain range is around 5k feet. How would you explain such a find?
    Which mountain range...?

As I said before, it is impossible to know how an unknown occurrence might be explained.

If you don't want to play along with my ground rules, that's fine too, just say so.
    And your rules are...? The same as Volconvo's, I hope

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Various evangelicals have claimed to have found the ark at various times and places. None turned out to be the remains of a ship as described in the Bible.

If such a ship was ever found I would be intrigued, particularly as I have a background in ship design. Would that be sufficient to make me want to accept the entire Judio-Christian cosmology? No. But it would make me want to learn as much about the original ship as possible.
    Rick

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." Sinclair Lewis

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your saying that there are two Noah's? If the destruction already happened once and Noah saved all the animals, then another Noah is going to save all the animals. Is your name Noah? If not, then your in the same boat as the rest of the Christians.
    You can find me if you want me in the garden unless it's pouring down with rain.

Retired Space Cowboy
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and don't forget about how God promised not to destroy the world again.
    "I am a kind of paranoiac in reverse. I suspect people of plotting to make me happy. J. D. Salinger

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Quote by: Aussie View Post
    Come on, this is the modern age, I need my end of times reminders in short notation form. Did you know people in the 21st century have very limited attention spans?
    I calculated the 'last day' once from data provided in the Bible. It will be 2018.
    There is only one right answer and, yet, you still argue with me..

I'm the proof that evolution works...

You're the proof that it doesn't.

Ask your doctor if thinking is right for you.

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Quote by: Stevejavson View Post
    and don't forget about how God promised not to destroy the world again.
    If he did who would be left to complain?
    Rick

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." Sinclair Lewis