0 Thread(s)
    Of course, I think it is great !

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not taking a shot at CruellaDeChaCha here. This is newsworthy? Ah, I see. It's only really newsworthy because of who is behind it. Dawkins, and this 'comedy' writer should get some nice publicity out of this. Pfff, next.

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do enjoy getting emails like the one that came today.

Thanks to you we raised enough money to put ads on 800 buses across the UK, and the campaign has gone global - Ariane Sherine

Today, thanks to many Cif readers, the overall total raised for the Atheist Bus Campaign stands at a truly overwhelming 135,000, breaking our original target of 5,500 by over 2400%. Given this unexpected amount, I'm very excited to tell you that 800 buses – instead of the 30 we were initially aiming for – are now rolling out across the UK with the slogan, "There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life", in locations all over England, Scotland and Wales, including Manchester, Edinburgh, Glasgow, York, Cardiff, Devon, Leeds, Bristol and Aberdeen.
    Thanks for reading,
    Josh Timonen
    RichardDawkins.net
    It may not be much, but every little bit counts. Sadly this is just a minor skirmish in the battle between reason and superstition. Bigger battles have been fought and will be again.

The Forum Rules

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.
    [John F. Kennedy]
    The principal value of debate lies in the development of logical thought processes, and the ability to articulate your positions publicly.
    [Senator Dick Clark of Iowa]
    The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it.
    [Terry Pratchett]

BANNED
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe in protecting the rights of Christians, churches, and atheists

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really don't see the appeal, but there are many things about mainstream secularism I find peculiar, like its attempt to appeal to people outside intellectual circles [the only place it was very useful and safe]. I don't see how encouraging everybody to join our movement will reflect well on secularism, anymore than encouraging everybody to join their religion has reflected well on Christians -- they let in people who embarrass the faith immensely, and people think worse of their entire religion for it. Lowering the standards lowers the quality of performance.

That said, keep secularism open and ready to welcome anybody who makes it there -- just don't put up signs everywhere. That's one of those annoying little habits of the religious.
    Act that your principle of action might safely be made a law for the whole world.

- Immanuel Kant

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Around my area churches and others rent billboards proclaiming such catchy phrases as "Don't make me come down there! ~God", "Jesus is Lord", etc. I would love, LOVE, for someone to rent a billboard with the message like the one on those busses.

I personally don't care about anyone's personal beliefs about God or Jesus or any of that, but the billboards really rub me the wrong way. The money used to keep those signs up could feed a poor family in the city.
    The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition. ~Carl Sagan

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life"
    Dawkins is preaching to the choir. Christians DON'T worry because there IS a God. Atheists DO worry because there IS a God. I doubt that the bus campaign will help to allay their fears.

If the belief in God decreases, people will only have more reason to worry.

Know God, indeed.
    There is only one right answer and, yet, you still argue with me..

I'm the proof that evolution works...

You're the proof that it doesn't.

Ask your doctor if thinking is right for you.

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see two important reasons for such advertising

1. To let the majority believers get used to the fact we exist. This will greatly in our getting respected and listened to when we ask for fairness
    2. To allow people who are unsure of their beliefs and afraid of 'coming out' ti think about Atheism as a viable option instead of something that is too terrible to consider

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Quote by: shawmutt View Post
    Around my area churches and others rent billboards proclaiming such catchy phrases as "Don't make me come down there! ~God", "Jesus is Lord", etc. I would love, LOVE, for someone to rent a billboard with the message like the one on those busses.

I personally don't care about anyone's personal beliefs about God or Jesus or any of that, but the billboards really rub me the wrong way. The money used to keep those signs up could feed a poor family in the city.
    That was tried and the billboard company moved it due to their own religious beliefs. You can read about it here.

The Forum Rules

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.
    [John F. Kennedy]
    The principal value of debate lies in the development of logical thought processes, and the ability to articulate your positions publicly.
    [Senator Dick Clark of Iowa]
    The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it.
    [Terry Pratchett]

BANNED
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Quote by: Jack View Post
    That was tried and the billboard company moved it due to their own religious beliefs. You can read about it here.
    The launch of this campaign featured across our various news channels here in the UK yesterday, as a sort of joke item, as you'd expect... the rather bemused public response struck me as typically British, in that nobody took it seriously. Comments varied from "makes a nice change" to "I've seen a lot worse" to "If it pi***s off the self-righteous - bring it on!"

The reporters failed to find anybody suffering even mild outrage - which, I suspect, would not be the case in the far more religious America. Dawkin's own comment - "I would have been happier if the slogan said there is DEFINITELY no god, any more than there is a tooth fairy" - was also typically tongue-in-cheek...

I would hate to live in any country that still takes superstition of any sort seriously, which is why I have no plans to move away from Britain for the time being.

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there are stickers for other religions, there should be some for atheism too. Personally, I'd rather see none.