Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pope Criticizes Atheism in Encyclical

The Associated Press: Pope Criticizes Atheism in Encyclical

Pope Benedict XVI strongly criticized atheism in a major document released Friday, saying it had led to some of the "greatest forms of cruelty and violations of justice" ever known.
    Benedict sharply criticizes Marx and the 19th and 20th century atheism spawned by his revolution, although he acknowledges that both were responding to the deep injustices of the time.

"A world marked by so much injustice, innocent suffering and cynicism of power cannot be the work of a good God," he wrote. But he said the idea that mankind can do what God cannot by creating a new salvation on Earth was "both presumptuous and intrinsically false."

"It is no accident that this idea has led to the greatest forms of cruelty and violations of justice," he wrote. "A world which has to create its own justice is a world without hope.

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a croc of crap to me.

But then again... Christianity needs a new enemy to target and it's far safer to pick on a group of people which are not exactly a group to begin with, then it would be for him to blame the world's problems on other religions.

Most of these injusticeseseses over the years were usually under the name of God.... whichever god you want to pin it on, most wars, gennocides, holocausts were all based around religious views and values.

Another reason why I am no longer a Roman Catholic.

And speaking of cruelty and injustice.... what about all those priests over the years who molested children?

Principled Observer Osborn F Enready's Avatar
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree Prax, it does sound like a croc of crap, but what do you expect from a figurehead of one of the biggest crocs of crap?
    Petition of Redress of Grievances:
    http://www.givemeliberty.org/default.htm

Canadian Lawsuit Against Their National Banks:
    http://www.freewebs.com/classaction/

Osborn F. Enready

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, who could argue with the infallible pope?
    Post by post, building his arguments by smashing a couple of theirs -- for America.

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Quote by: Praxius View Post

But then again... Christianity needs a new enemy to target and it's far safer to pick on a group of people which are not exactly a group to begin with, then it would be for him to blame the world's problems on other religions.

Most of these injusticeseseses over the years were usually under the name of God.... whichever god you want to pin it on, most wars, gennocides, holocausts were all based around religious views and values.

Another reason why I am no longer a Roman Catholic.

And speaking of cruelty and injustice.... what about all those priests over the years who molested children?
    Interesting considering his somewhat submissive stance toward Islam. I guess he likes to pick on those who aren't organized enough (or bloodthirsty) to pick back.

Place me like a seal over your heart, like a seal on your arm; for love is as strong as death, its jealousy unyielding as the grave. It burns like blazing fire, like a mighty flame. -- Song 8:6

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coming from a Nazi asshat, what do you expect? Catholics worldwide should be ashamed of themselves for looking up to this dildo in a funny hat.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I've always disagreed with the office, no matter who's on the throne.

Place me like a seal over your heart, like a seal on your arm; for love is as strong as death, its jealousy unyielding as the grave. It burns like blazing fire, like a mighty flame. -- Song 8:6

BANNED
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Quote by: phoenix_fire View Post
    Interesting considering his somewhat submissive stance toward Islam. I guess he likes to pick on those who aren't organized enough (or bloodthirsty) to pick back.

I think you are correct, but it will still be interesting to see if this causes a flap in the "atheist community".

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Quote by: Milton Bradley View Post
    I think you are correct, but it will still be interesting to see if this causes a flap in the "atheist community".
    No flap here. But, then again, I've never been much of a community, anyway.

Keith
    The great thread killer.

Igneous Magma
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its amazing how a fallible man after a 1 day coronation ceremony becomes instantly infallible

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Quote by: Praxius View Post

He could have always went after protestants, but that old standby never went very well in the past...

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's already done that.