Kuldeep
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Difference between computer and human brain

Fonceai in the thread "what is soul" has nicely tried to compared computer and computer user to human physical body and the associated soul. I did point out my side difference which I am quoting for ready reference

Quote Quote by: Kuldeep
    I find the analogy between computer & its user with living human being quite interesting and also cleaverly put. I would like to add a bit from my side as:

Self (which we call individual) is associated with metaphysical mind, which in turn is associated with physical full physical body including memory of course. So to my mind the self + metaphysical mind = Soul. This soul not only evaluates, enjoys the individual existence of self but also makes various internal and external body functions of a personpossible. Contarary to this, various systems in computer are run by electricity and electrons flow while computer user only enjoys the computer functioning.

I want to point out that in case of computer, system functioning and user are two different identities while in case of living being both the fuctions are due to one identity viz. Soul you may call it!
    I am not touching emotions, sentiments, desires, thoughts presently. Only fuctioning as regards memory has been discussed that too not in detail. Let me see how others would educate us as per latest scientific understanding of brain vis-a-vis computer fuctioning.:eek:

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While the analogy is romantic, I fail to see how it's accurate. We have evidence of computers and computer users. We have no evidence of souls, let alone souls using human bodies as a computer.

Instead, what all evidence points to is consciousness as a type of software and the brain as its corresponding hardware. Internet explorer and human personality can both look very flashy, but sever a few neural pathways or silicon chips and they both function abnormally (or not at all).

The brain is complicated, but our knowledge of it is increasing greatly.

Hellenist
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Immediately your words cause me to question, will a computer ever love? Will a computer ever have empathy for another? Will a computer ever desire to protect others or to releave the suffering of others? Do not our human judgements rest on our feelings? Without a body, isn't a computer lacking the feelings necessary for human judgements?

Did Star Trek tackle this problem many times? Does anyone desire to be part of the Borg?
    Latin: liberal, "worthy of a free person".

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Quote by: Kuldeep View Post
    Fonceai in the thread "what is soul" has nicely tried to compared computer and computer user to human physical body and the associated soul. I did point out my side difference which I am quoting for ready reference

I am not touching emotions, sentiments, desires, thoughts presently. Only fuctioning as regards memory has been discussed that too not in detail. Let me see how others would educate us as per latest scientific understanding of brain vis-a-vis computer fuctioning.:eek:
    Artificial Intelligence.

Quote Quote by: Kuldeep View Post
    This soul not only evaluates, enjoys the individual existence of self but also makes various internal and external body functions of a personpossible. Contarary to this, various systems in computer are run by electricity and electrons flow while computer user only enjoys the computer functioning.

You described nothing more then a highly advanced social animal. I as a human animal understand existence because my ancestors millions of years ago were pressured in certain ways to do so. You should investigate the idea behind "memes", so that you can compare the two concepts together.
    Although humans may seem to have something special within, its really based in nature rather then something that exists outside of nature. (you can read a nice thread that Zharvic started about memes for even further study, I think its titlted "Q & A about memes")

Consciousness expands and becomes clearer as time goes on, but also needs the power of the physical body so it can operate like a computer. One major difference between computers and living organisms deals with how organisms in the Universe were unintentional made by natural means.

I take the materialistic perspective toward the Universe; however, this perspective does not limit my imagination. Although I do not think the human body NATURALLY developed a soul, I do believe humans can create one in the future.
    "One objection that many critics have is the problem of logistics. However, with technologically advanced aircraft at His disposal, transportation for Jesus was NEVER a problem" ---- loser

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Quote by: Athena View Post
    Immediately your words cause me to question, will a computer ever love? Will a computer ever have empathy for another? Will a computer ever desire to protect others or to releave the suffering of others? Do not our human judgements rest on our feelings? Without a body, isn't a computer lacking the feelings necessary for human judgements?

Did Star Trek tackle this problem many times? Does anyone desire to be part of the Borg?

Although it may sound foolish to say, you are a natural borg - you just are so use to it.
    "One objection that many critics have is the problem of logistics. However, with technologically advanced aircraft at His disposal, transportation for Jesus was NEVER a problem" ---- loser

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Present computer technology is no match for the human brain. Computers can't appreciate nuance. They can't make assumptions. Our brains are not binary.

The Forum Rules

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.
    [John F. Kennedy]
    The principal value of debate lies in the development of logical thought processes, and the ability to articulate your positions publicly.
    [Senator Dick Clark of Iowa]
    The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it.
    [Terry Pratchett]

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the contrary, Isherwood, our brains are binary. Every neuron has an "excited" state and a "rest" state. The excited state can be considered a "1" and the rest state a "0".

- Rob
    "I'd rather be free and alive!" -- Ron Paul

Religion isn't the greatest threat to mankind -- authoritarianism is.

The Anarcheion

Zeitgeist

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe we should bring back Autolykos's thread - Neural Nets and the Human Brain and share more information.

don't care
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the neurons have moer states than two. My theory is that the brain is a gradually increasing state computer. Remember that there are 3-state computers. Brains are definitely some form of an organic computer.
    I'm just a fool caught in the rat race of life (Nathan Struth)

please help me solve world hunger, It's hard to do it alone.

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AFAIK, every neuron has one and only one threshold at which it "pulses". Thus, there are only two states: "on" (1) and "off" (0).

- Rob
    "I'd rather be free and alive!" -- Ron Paul

Religion isn't the greatest threat to mankind -- authoritarianism is.

The Anarcheion

Zeitgeist

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Quote by: Nathan Struth View Post
    I think the neurons have moer states than two.
    Please provide your evidence for this assertion.

Kuldeep
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Quote by: Rez
    Consciousness expands and becomes clearer as time goes on, but also needs the power of the physical body so it can operate like a computer. One major difference between computers and living organisms deals with how organisms in the Universe were unintentional made by natural means.
    Generally people try to go from body to soul and then to absolute self (Individual consciousness) while; I try to start from consciouness (what individual call "I"). This consciousness desires to know about itself. This desire develops with the help of meta-physical mind into what can be termed as SOUL. Still, this soul though naturally developed with a purpose is not physical as we humaen understand. In order to be so, nature has kept sex drive in living beings (even in plants) via which physical bodies are developed fed first by mother's system them by individual's SOUL. Thus, to my mind both the Soul and the physical body are naturally made and that too with a definite purpose.:)

I take the materialistic perspective toward the Universe; however, this perspective does not limit my imagination. Although I do not think the human body NATURALLY developed a soul, I do believe humans can create one in the future.
    Rather, I think soul developed a body with a purpose of understanding itself better in physical form. I have also reservations that human can create soul in future since soul is not a physical identity.:(