User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can domesticated animals live in the wild?

Hot Lava
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can domesticated animals live in the wild?

I want to know if they can. I fear going into research mode because i feel there will be nothing but biased websites with all the animal lovers out there.

So i ask you, in your personal experiences with animals, do you think that a domesticated animal is able to live in the wilderness of.... lets say.... Austin Texas?

Igneous Magma
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some can. Depends on the animal and the environment. There are plenty of examples.

Hot Lava
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Quote by: seyorni View Post
    Some can. Depends on the animal and the environment. There are plenty of examples.
    cat dog bird. austin tx

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 'wilderness' of Austin Texas?

Certain breeds of dog can and do easily adapt to living in the wild, as do all species of cat. Birds, well, it depends on the bird. I would doubt the colorful, exotic birds could survive, for instance.
    A man said to the universe:
    "Sir, I exist!"
    "However," replied the universe,
    "The fact has not created in me
    A sense of obligation."

-- Stephen Crane

Hot Lava
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Quote by: Angry Citizen View Post
    The 'wilderness' of Austin Texas?

Certain breeds of dog can and do easily adapt to living in the wild, as do all species of cat. Birds, well, it depends on the bird. I would doubt the colorful, exotic birds could survive, for instance.
    Alright, that's a start.

Let's say no exotic birds that need a especial habitat to be alive, just small birds that live in small cages. Like tweety bird type of cage.

And yeah the wilderness of austin texas lol

Having a discussion with a friend of mine. She started working on a pet store and now feels that every animal needs a home because they are defenseless.

Igneous Magma
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mustangs in the western US, camels in Australia. Domestic pigs. housecats.
    The less they've been altered from their wild prototypes the better they seem to adapt.

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure it is POSSIBLE for some domesticated animals to live in the wild, but it isn't ideal and should therefore not be encouraged. I say it isn't ideal because domesticated animals are, well, domesticated.

These animals are a result of the entrapment and intensive breeding of wild animals; a practice that has been going on for centuries. This is known as artificial selection. We slowly bred into them traits that were useful for us to exploit them and eradicated traits that did otherwise. As such, they are often complacent and void of behaviors that were once natural to them; that would've served to their survival in the wild.

Therefore, most domesticated animal species today CANNOT survive without human care-takers or at least cannot thrive. Self-reliance is simply no longer the strongest part of their nature, which has, of course, been severely altered in order to best serve us. This is why I champion the sterilization of domesticated animals rather than their release into the wild.
    As often as Herman had witnessed the slaughter of animals and fish, he always had the same thought: in their behaviour toward creatures, all men were Nazis. The smugness with which man could do with other species as he pleased exemplified the most extreme racist theories, the principle that might is right. ~Isaac Bashevis Singer

Igneous Magma
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i seriously cant believe that pugs and chiuaua's and mini foxy's occurred naturally in the wild can you imagine a pug den? xD haha my friend has one and it is the most defenceless nervous helpless little animal ive ever seen. whereas bigger dogs, would be able to adapt easily. we actually found one of my current dogs wild, running about the bush and we domesticated him, but he still hunts and has some characteristics of a wild animal.

i think this is the case with every domestic animal. Yes, most could adapt to the wilderness of any country (i mean... they are animals) but with shades of gray. some breeds yes and some definately no.

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Domestic animals released into the "wilds of Austin" are far more likely to become scavengers than to revert to any semblance of their wild ancestors.

The Forum Rules

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.
    [John F. Kennedy]
    The principal value of debate lies in the development of logical thought processes, and the ability to articulate your positions publicly.
    [Senator Dick Clark of Iowa]
    The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it.
    [Terry Pratchett]

"wrong is right"
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll admit I literally have no idea! haha but, my guess would be no for some animals and yes for some animals. I don't think spot my little puppy since he has been born could make it one week but i'm sure goldy my goldfish could do fine in a pond!
    CB

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Quote by: Primum non nocere View Post
    Therefore, most domesticated animal species today CANNOT survive without human care-takers or at least cannot thrive. Self-reliance is simply no longer the strongest part of their nature, which has, of course, been severely altered in order to best serve us.
    Interesting observation, particularly when one considers that the most domesticated animal on the planet is, in fact, the human being--Homo sapiens. Release the average lawyer, steel worker, or actor into the wild and he or she is unlikely to last more than a few weeks, if not a few days or hours if the weather is inclement.
    Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd - Voltaire

Igneous Magma
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless he or she has a towel with them.....