User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Exams should be abolished in high school...

Innocent. ...
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exams should be abolished in high school...

Refuting this statement because exams are a major decider in grades, and grades, combined with exams are why students study.

Students don't study? Not good for them. The social/mental pressures only prepares them for the real world.

Without exams, the world would be much less efficient as who knows what will happen to literacy levels and standards of education D=.

Volcanic Erupter
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that we should abolish the process of attending classes too. A person should be able to get a Doctorate from Yale by just sending in his fee. I mean why mess with all of that stuff in between. It doesn't make much difference does it? I mean what does one really learn anyway?

As a matter of fact let's just do away with school altogether. You get a degree at birth and then sort of muddle through. That seems about right.

Screw knowledge, it's all subjective anyway isn't it?

Let's just all become lefties and work together for the common good. We can all starve together. What a trip.

Innocent. ...
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Quote by: Deadeye View Post
    I think that we should abolish the process of attending classes too. A person should be able to get a Doctorate from Yale by just sending in his fee. I mean why mess with all of that stuff in between. It doesn't make much difference does it? I mean what does one really learn anyway?

As a matter of fact let's just do away with school altogether. You get a degree at birth and then sort of muddle through. That seems about right.

Screw knowledge, it's all subjective anyway isn't it?

Let's just all become lefties and work together for the common good. We can all starve together. What a trip.
    Haha, that is sure what I'd want. It ultimately will prove to be destructive for our advancement as a human race.

Through everyone's academic life we have these tests, these projects, these exams to develop our brains, to increase our intelligence, so that we can get into a good college.

Without these exams and projects, etc, we would find an increasingly large group of unmotivated students that will not excel.

Ultimately, we would end up with a generation of people that are unable to continue what we have right now; space exploration, advancements in mathematics, medicine exploration to provide cures for diseases that besiege human life, even down to the basic leadership and knowledge of economics necessary to run the basic company that is the structure of globalization/trade of today.

True, the average man in the coffeehouse can survive without high school education and therefore, exams would fail to do their purposes.

But it's those who help the human race advance (that is, those who look into outer space for alternative environments to settle, those who create medicines to reduce overpopulation) that have went through high school and higher level education to reach those levels.

Likewise, abolishing high school exams would be the equivalent (in theory, in terms of results) to removing competition from the global trade market, for example.

It simply does not move us forward.

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah and people wonder why I assume parents are more compitent to educate their own children than our government.
    Saving the empovershed by empoverishing their counterparts will empoverish the whole.

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Quote by: ironeagle View Post
    Yeah and people wonder why I assume parents are more
    compitent to educate their own children than our government.
    They're not necessarily more competent. One doesn't become a competent educator merely because he/she is a parent, or officially licensed as an educator. The same principle applies virtually everywhere. Sarah Palin may have more "executive experience" than Obama, but it doesn't necessarily mean she'd be more qualified in a leadership role (assuming that role is necessary to begin with).

Grandpa h.
    Post by post, building his arguments by smashing a couple of theirs -- for America.

Volcanic Erupter
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Quote by: Potentenum View Post

True, the average man in the coffeehouse can survive without high school education and therefore, exams would fail to do their purposes.
    But that man dripping coffee all over his dirty shirt won't do very well without an education.

Skilled workers are more productive workers. More productive workers make more money. Then they can buy more stuff; get loans; go into debt and become indebted semi-wealthy Americans.

So if you want a new Corvette do well in school.

While American workers are still the most productive workers on the globe the average Americans isn't. How many Americans survive on a welfare program and don't do a thing productive? I'd like to know how many. Millions I'm sure.

Americans support Obama because they want more free stuff from government. I don't want to give it my money to them.

In summary well educated people make more successful citizens. So the debate is, "Does testing students make them better students"? I think so.

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which is my point exactly Granpa, it cannot be possible that we agree on something can it?LOL. i just believe that if the state cannot prove the parent has been educationally neglectful that the parent's choice should not be infringed apon to homeschool.
    Saving the empovershed by empoverishing their counterparts will empoverish the whole.

Novice Member
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the most important inventions of all time was created by neanderthals. Come on, now! Who needs school?!?

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the current system of regurgitating information and then showing how much memory you have retained through exams isn't the best system around. I would rather a system that encourages critical thinking and not just regurgitation.

I mean how many exams has anyone done since leaving school?
    I reject your reality and insert my own!

Igneous Magma
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forget where I read it, but I think it was John Gatto, who spilled the beans on what modern "education" really is (nothing but indoctrination), has said that an average student should be able to learn the basics of reading, writing and arithmetic in 100 hours -- total.

That's a few months of school. Beyond that, kids should learn according to their desires.

I also know of a woman who teaches a famous adult personal training course has introduced elements of the course in schools and the kids have learned things like foreign languages at a rate that was thought to be impossible.

However ...

Government controls schools for the purpose of indoctrinating the populace. Get rid of that monopoly and two things would happen: these endless debates about what should be done about education would end, and kids would benefit from a revolution in education.

Innocent. ...
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, things such as pre-calculus and biology, and advanced knowledge in that area usually would not be required by a single student, if he/she be a mathematician or a biologist. However it is these exams, not what they consist of, but what they make the student do (become more competent, attend college, use their brains and challenge themselves for the world) that makes the exams necessary.

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Quote by: Deadeye
    In summary well educated people make more successful citizens.
    Further more, in my experience of higher education, the most educated members of society tend to be leftwing. So what does that say about this comment: -

"Let's just all become lefties and work together for the common good. We can all starve together."
    Society may be formed so as to exist without crime, without poverty, [] no obstacle whatsoever intervenes at this moment except ignorance to prevent such a state of society.

Robert Owen