View RSS Feed

Angry Citizen

Something To Reflect On

Rate this Entry
The Mahayanas tell the story of a sage who once stood on a riverbank looking across at the opposite short. Although the far side was but dimly visible through the river mists, he could see that it was unspeakably beautiful. The hills were green and the trees were all in blossom.

So he said to himself, "I want to go there." There was a raft tied at the river's edge. He untied the raft and began to paddle toward the distant short.

The journey was long and hazardous for the currents in midstream were swift. The raging rapids tossed and turned the raft, and he had to work with all his strength to maintain his balance. From the center of the river both shores were lost from view, and there were times when he was not sure which way he was drifting. But he continued paddling, and in due time he reached the far shore.

He got out of the raft and said, "Ah, at last I am here. It was a perilous journey, but now I have reached nirvana." He looked about him. The hills were green and the trees were all in blossom. Then he turned around and looked back. He could not see the opposite shore whence he came. Nor was there any river to be seen. And there was no raft.
0 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes

Submit "Something To Reflect On" to Digg Submit "Something To Reflect On" to del.icio.us Submit "Something To Reflect On" to StumbleUpon Submit "Something To Reflect On" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

'Can someone help me interpret this postlude poem?': ("The Mahayanas tell the story of a sage who once stood on a riverbank...")
    Ans: This is a metaphor for a spiritual journey to enlightenment and Nirvana. Once he gets to Nirvana, he sees that the journey, just like life, was an illusion which has disappeared back to being non-existent.

Was this the ans U wanted?> U might have 'googled' it...
    The last part is confusing though...
    0 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes

Trackbacks

Total Trackbacks 0
Trackback URL: