User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What kind of music are you listening to?

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What kind of music are you listening to?

DOCTORS should ask their teenage patients what type of music they prefer to determine if they are at risk of developing a mental illness or committing suicide, researchers say.

A study, published in today's Australasian Psychiatry journal, found that teens who listened to pop music were more likely to be struggling with their sexuality, those tuning in to rap or heavy metal could be having unprotected sex and drink-driving, and those who favoured jazz were usually misfits and loners.

The findings prompted a call for doctors to include musical tastes as a diagnostic indicator in mental health assessments.

The study's author, Felicity Baker, said yesterday: "There is no evidence to suggest the type of music you listen to will cause you to commit suicide, but those who are vulnerable and at risk of committing suicide may be listening to certain types of music."

She said an Australian study of year 10 students had shown significant associations between heavy metal music and suicidal tendencies, depression, delinquency and drug-taking.

An American study had also shown that young adults who regularly listened to heavy metal had a higher preoccupation with suicide and higher levels of depression than their peers.

Deliberate self-harm and attempted suicide were also associated with teenagers who listened to trance, techno, heavy metal and medieval music as part of the Goth subculture, while those who attended dance parties were much more likely than their peers to be taking drugs.

Some genres of rap music, such as French rap, were linked to more deviant behaviours, including theft, violence and drug use. Teens who listened to hip-hop were usually less troublesome, Dr Baker said. "But it's important to point out that music doesn't cause these behaviours," she said.

"It's more a case of teenagers who may have a mental illness or are involved in these antisocial behaviours being drawn to certain types of music."

Michael Bowden, a child psychiatrist and the head of medical programs at the NSW Institute of Psychiatry, said most doctors already questioned teen patients about their influences, whether from their peers, the internet or music.

"Over the years there have been concerns about suicidal themes in some music and whenever a famous person, such as (Nirvana singer) Kurt Cobain, kills themselves we see a copycat effect among teenagers," he said.

"But sometimes an adolescent's musical tastes will reveal nothing. The key to understanding any teenager is to treat them with respect by listening to what they have to say, rather than typecasting them according to the type of music they listen to."

WHAT STUDIES SAY ABOUT YOUR SOUNDS:

POP: Conformists, overly responsible, role-conscious, struggling with sexuality or peer acceptance.

HEAVY METAL: Higher levels of suicidal ideation, depression, drug use, self-harm, shoplifting, vandalism, unprotected sex.

DANCE: Higher levels of drug use regardless of socio-economic background.

JAZZ/RHYTHM & BLUES: Introverted misfits, loners.

RAP: Higher levels of theft, violence, anger, street gang membership, drug use and misogyny.

www.theage.com.au - Musical key to unlocking teenage wasteland

I am a jazz rythm & blues man. With the occasional heavy metal.

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ouch. I'm an avant-garde and free jazz/improvisation fan. I play what we call non-idiomatic improvised guitar. Does that mean that I'll die unshaved?! Dunno, but at 16 it may show how individualistic and independant I am.
    I love blues and "straight" jazz as well.

For those interested in the kind of music I'm playing: Derek Bailey
    One of my idol.
    Just trolling by.

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha, my taste in music is clean.

I like various genres of (mostly) unmainstream rock.

I don't mind some screaming, but it has to build up to it so its passionate. To me, the point is entirely missed when they just scream throughout the entire song.

Anyway, the Pop evaluation does not surprise me at all.

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well thought-out research. They needed this a long time ago, and in the line:

"But sometimes an adolescent's musical tastes will reveal nothing. The key to understanding any teenager is to treat them with respect by listening to what they have to say, rather than typecasting them according to the type of music they listen to."
    Would have ended the debate about bad music and violent video games causing kids to do socially unacceptable things.

Violent video games don't find kids, violent kids find video games.

Good post.

Altruism Assassin Gods_Mercenary's Avatar
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    woops
    “Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.”
    -Albert Einstein

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given that heavy metal covers everything from classics like led zeppelin and Sabbath to creepy death metal bands, I'm not sure how such a generalization can be made.
    “Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.”
    -Albert Einstein

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

(I just stopped back in at volconvo after a few years away. Good to see it going strong)

I agree with this choice of a quote from the starter news item (but the quote function in the volconvo software isn't working for me):

I'm repeatedly concerned when I see the army of helpers who classify, objectify, and then limit the potential of the people they measure. It would be interesting to see a reverse-psychology, with measurement being done of the measurers.

:)

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...what does classical say about you? Do I even want to know? How about old school rock like Pink Floyd? God I'm so abnormal I'm not even on the charts :)
    Doesn't that mean most people are trolls?

No, it means most people on forums are called trolls at one point or another for stating their opinion honestly.

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Quote by: Thanatos View Post
    ...what does classical say about you? Do I even want to know? How about old school rock like Pink Floyd? God I'm so abnormal I'm not even on the charts :)
    Thanatos... listening to classical music (both Bach and the Beetles) does not make your abnormal in any way. You aren't alone. Millions of people listen to the exact same music you listen to.

I would like it if these statistics included more types of music, though.

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *gasp*

Maybe its Satan himself directly implanting messages into the music

http://popbytes.com/img/DJLobsterdus...n-vs-Satan.mp3

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anybody ever listened to stairway to heaven backwards?
    -Albert Einstein

Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Various rock, German Classical music, I have a tad' of a weak spot for Billy Bragg, and I've always enjoyed Ernst Busch. I have a signed LP by him. :) (
    Die Partei, hat immer Recht!

So, aus Leninschem Geist,
    Wächst, von Stalin geschweißt,
    Die Partei - die Partei - die Partei.

Deutsche Kommunistische Partei.
    Gegen 'Die Linke'!